The application process for the Contraception and Infertility Research Loan Repayment Program is conducted electronically. The application materials are located at the NIH Loan Repayment website (www.lrp.nih.gov) and must be completed online (see Figure 1). In order to access and complete the forms located at our website (www.lrp.nih.gov), you must have Netscape version 4.7 or higher, or Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.
All forms to be completed in support of your application by individuals you have identified, including Research Supervisors, Mentors, Recommenders, and Institutional Contacts, are also located at the NIH Loan Repayment website, www.lrp.nih.gov. These individuals are contacted electronically using e-mail addresses supplied by you and must complete their forms online.
You must select the Contraception and Infertility Research Loan Repayment Program at the start of the application process. Only one loan repayment program can be selected since this selection will guide the processing of the application during the review process.
The NICHD approves or disapproves applications for participation in a Contraception and Infertility Research Loan Repayment Program.
Applications submitted to the Division of Loan Repayment are first examined to determine if the basic eligibility requirements are satisfied. If these requirements are met, the application is forwarded to the NIH Center for Scientific Review for assignment to the NICHD for review, scoring, and ranking.
The Loan Repayment Process
The following information is furnished by the applicant or others on behalf of the applicant (forms are completed electronically at the NIH LRP Web-site).
Applicants electronically transmit the following to the NIH Division of Loan Repayment:
Research supervisors or mentors electronically transmit the following to the NIH Division of Loan Repayment:
- Applicant Information Statement
- Personal Statement, which includes a discussion of career goals and academic objectives.
- Description of Research Activities, which describes the current or proposed research project including the specific responsibilities and role of the applicant in conducting the research. The research supervisor or mentor will be asked to concur in the research project description provided by the applicant (as a result, it is important that the description of Research Activities form be completed and electronically submitted by the applicant as early as possible in the application process).
- Identification of Recommenders
- Identification of Institutional Contact
- Online Certification
- Loan Information including current account statement(s), and promissory note(s) or disclosure statement(s), obtained from lending institution(s), submitted via facsimile to 866-849-4046
- If applying based on NIH support, Notice of Grant/Award (or PHS 2271 for T32 recipients)
Recommenders electronically transmit the following to the NIH Division of Loan Repayment:
Institutional Contacts electronically transmit the following to the NIH Division of Loan Repayment:
- Assessment of the Research Activities Statement submitted by the applicant
- Description of the Research Environment, which provides detailed information about the lab where the applicant is or will be conducting research, including funding, lab space, and major areas under investigation. This form is completed by the research supervisors or mentor.
- Training or Mentoring Plan, which includes a detailed discussion of the training or mentoring plan, including a discussion of the research methods and scientific techniques to be taught. This document is completed by the research supervisors or mentor and is submitted for all applicants (except for applicants with an NIH R01 equivalent grant).
- Biosketch of a laboratory staff member if involved in training or mentoring the applicant.
You can check the status of your application on-line at www.lrp.nih.gov, including the status of materials submitted on your behalf from Recommenders, Research Supervisors, Mentors, and Institutional Contacts.
- A certification that: (a) assures the applicant will be provided the necessary time and resources to engage in the research project for two years from the date a Loan Repayment Program Contract is executed, expected to be between June 1 and August 1, 2006; (b) assures that the applicant is or will be engaged in qualifying research for 50 percent or more of their total level of for an average of at least 20 hours per week during each quarterly service period. That is, during each quarter of the contract period, participants must conduct the required research for a minimum of 240 hours (based on a 12-week quarter) or 260 hours (based on a 13-week quarter ); (c) certifies that the institution is non-profit (exempt from tax under 26 USC 501), and (d) provides the applicant's institutional base salary.
Please call the LRP Helpline at 866-849-4047 if you have questions regarding the Loan Repayment Program application process.
NICHD Review, Scoring, and Ranking
Award funding is highly competitive. Applications that are on time, complete and eligible will be referred by the NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR) to NICHD for peer review. In evaluating the application, reviewers will be directed to consider the following components as they relate to the likelihood that the applicant will continue in a research career:
Priority will be given to applicants with a clear career focus in the specialized areas of contraception and/or infertility research over those engaging in general reproductive sciences research. All selections are subject to final approval by the Director, NICHD.
- Potential of the applicant to pursue a career in research.
- Appropriateness of the applicant's previous training and experience to prepare him/her for a research career.
- Suitability of the applicant's proposed research activities in the two-year period to foster a career in contraception and/or infertility research.
- Assessment of the applicant's commitment to a research career as reflected by the personal statement of long-term career goals and the plan outlined to achieve those goals.
- Strength of recommendations attesting to the applicant's potential for a research career.
- Quality of the overall environment to prepare the applicant for a research career.
- Availability of appropriate scientific colleagues to achieve and/or enhance the applicant's research independence.
- Quality and appropriateness of institutional resources and facilities.
The NICHD will notify the applicant of the outcome of the review. Selected applicants become participants in the CIR-LRP only upon the signing of a written NIH Loan Repayment Program Contract by the Director, NICHD, the Secretary's designee.
When NICHD approves an application, the NIH Division of Loan Repayment notifies individuals of their award amount and provides a repayment schedule that covers the period of participation. If the approved research assignment changes, or if the employing research institution changes, the participant must have their continued eligibility re-certified by the NICHD. Contact the LRP Helpline at 866-849-4047 for further guidance.
Application Dates and Deadlines
To apply for loan repayment support under the Contraception and Infertility Research LRP your entire application (including educational loan information with current account statement, and other required information) must be submitted, via the NIH Loan Repayment Program electronic application system, by the closing date of the application cycle. Please see "News & Announcements" on the LRP Homepage for current application opening and closing dates. LRP contracts are expected to become effective no earlier than June of the fiscal year for which you have applied. LRP contracts are not retroactive to any earlier date.
To apply for loan repayment support under the Contraception and Infertility Research Loan Repayment Program, you should submit your entire application by the deadline date. Click here for more information on the Contraception and Infertility Research Loan Repayment Program.
Applications that are incomplete as of the application deadline date WILL NOT be considered. It is strongly recommended that applications be submitted as soon as possible.
In order to access and complete the forms located at our website (www.lrp.nih.gov), you must have Netscape version 4.7 or higher, or Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher. We recommend that applicants alert others who will be asked to provide information on their behalf, such as Research Supervisors, Mentors, Recommenders, and Institutional Officials about these system requirements.
Date Last Updated: May 29, 2015